Liberal Democrat priorities to boost jobs and the economy include
- A major programme of capital investment in houses, schools, hospitals, renewal energy and infrastructure, stimulating growth across all areas of the UK.
- Encourage the creation and widespread adoption of a ‘good employer’ kitemark covering areas such as paying a living wage, and avoiding unpaid internships
- Stamp out abuse of zero-hours contracts. We will create a formal right to request a fixed contract and consult on introducing a right to make regular patterns of work contractual after a period of time.
- Create a new ‘start-up allowance’ to help those starting a new business with their living costs in the crucial first weeks of their business.
- Establish an independent review to consult on how to set a genuine living wage across all sectors. We will pay this living wage in all central government departments and their agencies, and encourage other public-sector employers to do likewise.
- Extend transparency requirements on larger employers to include publishing the number of people paid less than the living wage and the ratio between top and median pay.
- Modernise employment rights to make them fit for the age of the ‘gig’ economy, looking to build on the forthcoming Taylor report.
- Review Business Rates to reduce burdens on small firms, and make them the priority for any future business tax cuts.